Sunday, June 19, 2011

What to do with all those blueberries

On Friday morning I went out to pick blueberries, a job I had neglected for a few days.  I was surprised that I picked about 3 cups from our 2 small bushes!  So what to do, what to do?  We were leaving for a 7 day family trip on Saturday morning. My mother-in-law and father-in-law were coming to our house Friday night so they could leave with us the next morning for the trip. I was busy trying to pack and clean the house (to leave it "show ready"). 

My choices were freeze them for later of make a cobbler.  I finally decided on the cobbler.
First I took the berries and put them in a small casserole dish and sprinkled them with sugar.  Sorry, didn't measure this, but really, you can eyeball this!


Next I mixed together the mixture for the "bread", which is what makes cobbler, well, cobbler.
I used
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup flour
I used self rising flour because I had it, but if I didn't I would have used all purpose simply adding in 1 tsp of baking pour and 1/4 teaspon of salt.
*Note: for every cup of berries you plan to use, you will need 1/4 cup of each of these ingredients.  Feel free to adjust for the amount of berries you have or how many people you need to feed!

It is ok if the batter has a few lumps.  As you can see, by now the sugar and fruit are starting to make a little juice...yummy!  Next I put a few "dots" of buter on top of my fruit.
Then I poured the batter on.

No, it is not easy to hold the bowl while pouring batter and take a picture, but I managed
Next I sprinkled on a little cinnamon, because, well, everything is better with a little cinnamon!


I am sorry to say that I forgot to take a picture when it came out of the ove, but let me just tell you, the batter puffed up and made a lovely golden, sweet, biscuit like dough on top of those luscious blueberries from my garden, that I grew.  And it was REALLY. GOOD.  My MIL and FIL both enjoyed, along with me and hubby!

No comments: